Sunday, June 7, 2009

Jesus Only, Jesus Everything: God-ward (Romans 5:1-11)

We often think along these lines (subconsciously more often than not) - "Today I have been pretty good. I haven't had any road rage. I haven't hurt anyone. I haven't had any immoral thoughts. In fact, my Bible reading was better than normal. I really felt good about myself and pretty close to God. So now I have better access to God. I can pray and God will hear me, because I've pleased Him today." Or we might think along these lines - "Today I yelled at the kids. I also had several immoral thoughts this afternoon. In fact, I haven't even read the Bible. God won't hear my prayers, I won't even bother trying to pray. Maybe tomorrow will be better."

Can you relate?! I've caught myself living this way many times. We easily forget that we come to God on the basis of the finished work of the Lord Jesus, and never on the basis of our attainment. We have access to God through Jesus only, not through our "righteous living". Jesus is everything to us and for us in regards to our relationship with the Father. He ripped the veil of the Temple in half, giving us access to the Holy of Holies, and we still think that we have to earn his favor.

We must value the blood of Jesus the way the Father values it. If not, then we will fall into deep despair over our sin. Many new Christians have this experience: The Holy Spirit convicts them of sin and their separation from God. They turn to Christ as their only hope, and they experience the new birth. Then, without warning, the Holy Spirit starts to point out particular sins in their life. There is sin that they never saw before. The sin seems so overwhelming and horrible. Their conscience has been awakened by the Spirit of God. They fall into despair and depression. They begin to doubt whether they are saved. They think: How can I be saved when I am so sinful? This is where Satan wants them. They are in no state of usefulness to God. Colossians 1:20-21 says that we were once enemies in our minds by wicked works. But Jesus has reconciled us to God. If that Christian would see the value of the blood of Christ, they would thank God for the complete forgiveness. God is satisfied with the blood, and so they should be too. The price of their sin is fully paid.

Our relationship to God is through Jesus only. There is nothing we can do to make our relationship better. We are sons of God. Jesus is the firstborn of many brethren. His life is grafted into ours. He is everything to us!

3 comments:

  1. "There is nothing we can do to make our relationship better."

    Relationships are two-way streets. Yes, our sin is forgiven through the blood of Christ and yet that is not the end of our Christian life that is but the beginning. Our relationship should grow and be strengthened through daily Bible reading,prayer, and faithful church attendance.

    Yes, there is nothing we can do in and of ourselves to gain entrance into heaven and have that kind of works salvation. But I do believe that we are not little robots that have no response and responsibility to work on our end of our relationship to God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like we are looking at two different meanings of the word "relationship". By relationship I am talking about our position in Christ. He has made us sons of God, joint-heirs with Himself. Nothing can change that relationship.
    ~Jared

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the explanation. Yes, we were looking at two different sides to the word "relationship." I did not realize that you were going to go through the whole book of Romans otherwise I would have "Ro 8:25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it." Do you like how I took that verse out of context and used it to my own advantage. By the way that verse came out of chapter 8 so I must not be a carnal Christian. (smile)

    ReplyDelete